Sunday, September 25, 2011

Operation: Renew my stale wardrobe

I don't know if anyone else does this, but with every change in season I do a few minor adjustments to the arrangement of my closet. It usually involves making the current season's clothing the most easily accessible and putting the rest in storage or at least out of the forefront of my closet. So as the warm, sunny days get fewer and further between I have come to terms with the fact that Fall is just around the corner. So it's time to prep my wardrobe for the cooler weather ahead, which means bringing out the sweaters and putting away the shorts and sundresses. To be honest, this is a welcome change for me, because on a cold, crisp day I love nothing more than wrapping up in a warm, chunky knit sweater with a cup of tea. Now don't get me wrong, I love Summer too.....and part of me is sad to put away my beloved flip-flops until next year, but I am also pretty excited at the prospect of getting to access a part of my wardrobe that has been in hiding for the past 6 months or so! I feel this way with each change in season, but I think it is even more pronounced this year because without buying anything new, it is really my only opportunity to feel a sense of renewal in my wardrobe that starts to feel kind of stale by the end of a season. Or so I thought. As you know, this year I have used the hanger test to monitor how much of my wardrobe I am actually wearing and how much is just taking up space. What I have discovered is that although I am more than 3/4 of the way through the year that doesn't necessarily mean I have worn 3/4 of my wardrobe. I still have quite a few items that I haven't worn yet this year, in fact, when I pulled all the items with un-turned hangers out of my closet I was able to make no less than 10 fall appropriate outfits! So, operation: renew my stale wardrobe was born. For one week (next week specifically) I will be wearing only items that I have not yet worn this year, and judging from what I have to work with, I don't think I will even have to wear the same thing twice. Talk about a reminder to appreciate what I have......just what I need to get me through these last few months of this project!

♥ Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment