Late Summer Creamy Roasted Tomato and Garlic soup with fresh basil
1 can Earth's Choice organic tomatoes (crushed in puree with basil)
1 pint of cherry tomatoes (assorted red, yellow and orange)
2 heads of garlic
2 cups of vegetable stock
I handful of fresh basil
250 ml heavy cream
Prep the garlic and cherry tomatoes first....both can be roasted at 425 degrees. The garlic will take about 45 minutes in a small container, drizzled in olive oil and covered in tin foil. The tomatoes will take much less time (about 15 minutes) so put them in around the 30 minute mark of your roasting garlic. I found it easiest to roast them on a baking sheet covered in parchment. I basically watched them and called it done when they popped open! When the garlic is done you can basically just squeeze it into the soup like a paste.
- Combine all the ingredients EXCEPT the cream in a large pot and simmer on low/medium for 30 minutes.
- Blend/puree in a regular blender or using immersion blender if you have one
- Return to pot and stir in the cream
- Simmer on low for 10-15 or until hot enough to eat
- Add salt and pepper to taste