Monday, January 17, 2011

Fave moment of second week: Better to give, than to receive

As I was looking back at my past blog posts I realize that I have been doing a lot of complaining so far! Although I do think one of the purposes to this blog is to vent a little about my temptations etc....I really should balance it more with some great things about this challenge and remind myself why I am doing it. To be honest I really have enjoyed not shopping (for the most part) but you wouldn't know that by reading this blog, so....although I can't promise a complaint-free blog from now on (after all....I am not shopping for a year and I am only two weeks in so there are bound to be some low moments in my future) I will try to limit the complaints.....starting today!

My father always says that "it is better to give than to receive" and seeing him not only talk about it but actually live this motto has helped me to "walk the walk" as well. I volunteer my time with charity organizations when I can, my husband and I donate money every year to organizations that are important to us and since I was young I have always reveled in finding the perfect gift for my loved ones' birthday or special event. Whether it was making a macaroni necklace for mother's day that I was certain she would LOVE (she probably didn't) or surprising my husband with a ipod that was cleverly disguised in a huge box to throw him off (he loved it and was very surprised), I like to put thought into the things I give and see the reaction that verifies that 'I did good'!! So, that being said my fave moment of week two was throwing a baby shower for a good friend of mine yesterday. It was so wonderful to spend time with some lovely ladies and shower our friend with love and gifts to help her in this new chapter in her life (WOW that was super-cheesy....but completely true so I am standing by the 'cheese'). Without being able to shop for myself I totally embraced the opportunity to shop for someone else and find just the right gift. I knew that she would love whatever I gave her, but I still wanted to get her something she needed and would use etc. Over the past few weeks I gathered a few things together (onesies, washcloths, shampoo and baby wash) and finally was able to find the main item...the Moby wrap...at a consignment store last week (scored a great deal too....Bonnie ignore this), which brought the whole gift together.
Just as I suspected, she loved it....no buyer's remorse with this shopping expedition!

This idea of giving inspired me to add another element to my challenge but I need your help with this one friends. I have decided that I am going to donate $1 to a charity (TBA) for everyday that I survive this challenge! This will motivate me to stay on track and at the end of the year (hopefully) $365 will go to a deserving organization. As for what charity to choose, I would like to focus on either something clothing related or experience related to stay with the theme of this blog. Now I have a few in mind, but I would love to hear your ideas then at the end of this week I will put up a poll so you all can vote one which of the final three I should choose. Fun right?? I am so excited for this one....can't wait to hear your ideas!
Lindsay

1 comment:

  1. How about to a local woman's & children's shelter for clothing items they need?

    ReplyDelete