Sunday, January 9, 2011

First week wrap up!

Well I have had a busy weekend and aside from groceries I spent NO time shopping! So how did I spend my time? Well friday night I had a good old-fashioned sleepover with my friend Robyn, Saturday I went for a 2 hour walk with two girlfriends and my fave canine nephew Max (I was puppy-sitting for the day) and Sunday I went grocery shopping in the morning and then proceeded to spend the rest of the day cleaning and organizing my life (and my closet). Here are the results of the closet inventory as promised:

Shoes 26 pairs
Boots 9 pairs
Sandals 15 pairs
Coats and Blazers 21
Scarves 25
Hats 21
Jeans 12
Bottoms (skirts, shorts, leggings and pants) 47
Tops (tees, blouses, tanks, sweaters, hoodies, cardigans, etc) 152
Dresses 15 (14 if I can sell my wedding dress...shameless plug....

Now you can see why I need to stop shopping and start appreciating what I have! And yes friends I still look at my closet and say "I have nothing to wear"...just ask my husband. I really need to stop that too. This inventory also made me realize that not only do I have to stop shopping this needs to be the year that I finally streamline my wardrobe. I have been avoiding this for various reasons.....maybe I will fit into that again, what if I regret getting rid of it? what if that comes back into style again? No one benefits from 'what-iffing' and no one needs this many clothes so I think I have developed a pretty good plan that will help me make the right decisions. So here is my step-by-step plan if you are interested in joining me!

1. Inventory (know what you have)
2. Set aside anything that you want to repair or alter and GET IT DONE!!
3. BIG TIP: As you put your clothing back into your closet turn the hangers around backwards and when you wear that item turn the hanger back the right way. This is a great way to actually visualize how much of your wardrobe you actually wear (I predict it will be shocking in my case!)
4. At the end of the year remove everything that you did not wear at all.
5. Divide those items into piles to:

  • Keep for another 6 months and make an effort to wear then get rid of it if you still don't wear it
  • Donate to charity (Big Brother is my fave because they will come pick it up at your house. Easy!)
  • Sell, consign or swap 

Remember if you haven't worn it in a year....chances are you never will! 



In the meantime if you are like me and holding onto things, hoping to fit into them again, set a goal and make a plan to follow through and then DO IT! As I was discussing this project with my friend Josh Neumann he pointed out that just by focussing on doing more things that I love will probably make me both happier and healthier. I have stopped shopping and started doing things that are more active and outdoorsy so inevitably I will start to get healthier....so to sum up....not shopping will help me get skinny and fit into clothes that are too tight! Right? Well maybe it is not that easy.....but it's a start. I am also going to run or workout at least 4 times a week so that by the end of this year I will love my wardrobe and look great in it!

Lindsay

3 comments:

  1. Ok so my mouth actually dropped when I read: "Tops (tees, blouses, tanks, sweaters, hoodies, cardigans, etc) 152" Good Lord that's a lot! Your jeans have certainly depleted since I last counted with you but still workable FOR SURE! I think you will more than survive this year with what you have and perhaps you will feel less of a desire to replenish so quickly when the year is done.

    I like your thoughts about turning the hanger for clothes that you've worn but I bet you could get away with cleansing the closet after 6 months rather than a year if you take into account your seasons...

    That's my 2 cents! Keep up the good work Linds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I know....I actually thought about fudging the number a bit to make it seem less excessive but in the end I figured I have to be honest with myself if this is going to work! I think you are right.....I was never worried about not having enough clothes to get through the year but more about whether I can fight the desire to add to my already more than sufficient wardrobe. And perhaps I will even feel like cleansing in the summer....you never know!
    Thanks for the support!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's a great idea about turning the hangers. I'm totally going to do that!

    ReplyDelete